background

Sunday, March 25, 2012

It's been a week now...

Since we left Uganda. My heart and the way that I feel about the people of Uganda have not changed. I wake up in the morning thinking about them and find myself thinking about certain children or faces throughout my day. I'm sure it seems logical that I, in time, would begin to forget or that my daily life would become so routine that I wouldn't think of them so much, but I don't think that is going to be the case. You see, I think my eyes and my heart have been changed in way that I didn't expect. I see these people as family now. We are all God's children and if we don't look at one another as siblings in Christ then we are missing the picture of how God created this earth and his people to be.

In this post I wanted to put in a few pictures from our trip...below are pictures from our first 2 days in Kampala. Kampala is a larger city...the President lives here and Parliament is there. There is a constant smell of exhaust fumes and open fires as you drive through the city. People on little motorcycles or in taxis are everywhere and if they are not riding these, they are walking. There is no such thing as personal space in Uganda. The first two days we worked with Return Ministries, started and run by Pastor Samuel. He is a wise and loving man. You will see our team with him in one of the pictures. We handed out bags with many different types of supplies to families in his village. We played with and fed the kids at his ministry. I love these dear children...they were the first Ugandans I met and they were precious. You can see my previous posts for more on them.

After leaving Kampala, we moved on to Canaan's Children's home. Pastor or "Papa" as he is affectionately known as, began this ministry after almost being killed by a rebel army some years ago for his faith in Jesus. He was called and vowed to the Lord that he would care for the children of Uganda. He is making good on his promise as 120 orphaned children live on this compound. They are fed, clothed, and sent to school.  We held VBS in the afternoons with as many kids as we could from Canaans, but also a lot of street children. These children broke my heart because this was the highlight of their day. To sing, learn, and make a simple craft was so fun to them. We jumped rope and painted fingernails. Simple things to Americans, but treasures to Ugandan children.  In the mornings we visited different ministries. We visited Amani baby cottage (the first couple of pictures), Sanyu baby cottage (see my previous post- one the highlights of my trip...amazing too see God's provision!), Pillars of Hope Ministry (see pictures of the loom...they make beautiful pieces of work to sell for money, which pays for food and school fees for the street children in their ministry), the Karamajong Tribe (considered the lowest of the low in Uganda..no one wants them or cares for them other than the few ministries working with them. Their children were absolutely filthy, but some of the most attention and love-needy people I have ever met). We also visited the school that most Cannan's kids go to. Friday night we gave almost all of the children a set of new sheets and a pillow. We also gave socks, clothes, notebooks, and math sets.  Our team worked so hard each day to give all we had of ourselves to each of these groups of people. I cannot describe in words to you what it was like, but you have to know that each day changed mine and Travis's lives. We simply do not look at people the same way anymore. 
(You can click and drag to make this bigger, the pictures are also on my facebook page)

Below is a quick video of some of the smaller kids performing on Friday night for our "Welcome." It is hard to hear, but they were precious! 


I know this post is long, but I need to share with you one more thing. Before we went to Uganda, we knew of a young man named Isaac who Welch (our friend and trip leader) befriended on his last trip. Isaac is very bright and ambitious. When we got to Uganda, Isaac was in the hospital. There was no real diagnosis- hospitals do not even come close to the type of medical care we have here. While we were there, he was released and seemed to be feeling somewhat better. We learned this week that Isaac is very, very sick and at one point was close to not making it. He left Canaan's/Jinja and is now in Kampala in a larger, private hospital. Just to be admitted and seen the cost was $120. To stay there cost much more. Pastor Samuel (Return Ministries) is helping take care of his hospital cost. This is a burden, though, for Samuel and Isaac as money is not an abundant resource. We are praying for God's will in Isaac's life and how best to help him. Please join us in praying for this special young man. 
Isaac with Welch as we picked him up from the hospital.

 I want to share another passage from a book I have been reading....maybe tomorrow :).Thank you for your prayers and support. Please continue to pray for us as we discern what God would have us to continue to do for His people.  

Peace and Love~
Kristen


No comments:

Post a Comment